Guidelines in Writing Scope of Study Effectively
Before you start drafting any kind of report, you write the scope of study. The scope of a study reveals the extent to which you’re going to explore the topic. It also specifies the parameters within which you’ll operate. If you let me explain it in simple words, I would say that it tells the readers what you’ll be covering in your study.
As a researcher, you have to be careful in defining the scope of your study for your research paper. You might not do justice with it, and it will take a lot of your time for completion. Hence, it would help if you started writing it early. But there are some things that you need to take into consideration as well before you start. These things include the following;
Identification of the Research’s Needs
The first, and foremost important thing that you need to consider is identification of your research needs. This identification will help you in setting up a benchmark for the other aspects. Identifying the words “what” and “why” will enable you in setting your goals and objectives clearly. Hence at first, you’re required to brainstorm on the needs of your study. This will be your first step towards writing successful scope of study.
Follow SMART Guidelines
The goals and objectives of your study should be aligned with SMART guidelines. SMART refers to a set of guidelines, and every letter carries a meaning. The meaning, and explanation of SMART are as follows;
- Specific: This guideline involves intentions of the researcher. The intentions of the researcher should be crystal clear. It specifies what, why, and how the researcher will perform the research. It reduces any chance of misunderstanding in the future.
- Measurable: The goals and objectives of the study should be dynamic, and measurable. The dynamic goals can generate constant feedback for improvement.
- Achievable: The research goals should also be achievable. It is important to note that you can’t set goals that you’ll change at the end. That’s why the point of specificity is above in the list.
- Realistic: There should not be complications in the goals of research. They should be easy to understand.
- Time-Frame: The time frame of research is a very important aspect. The researcher should have a proper estimate of the time needed to successfully complete it.
While writing scope of study, the researcher should also include an important aspect of the study, i.e. research population. The aspects of sample size, and target population should also be identified before writing. In fact, the researcher should devise a sampling plan for the research. This sampling plan should include details of the target population. It should include profiles of the target population as well. The plan should also contain justifications for your choices.
The researcher should present existing theories related to the study. These can be the theories that the researcher will apply for collecting data. These are sometimes termed as the methods that a researcher will adopt for carrying out the research. It is important in the sense that it helps readers in knowing about the analysis aspects. Typically, related theories are presented in theoretical framework section of the scope of study. Hence, mentioning these theories is a vital aspect of your research 0that should be ensured.
Consider Limitations of the Study
In research, avoiding difficulties is impossible. Every study has a limited scope and is subject to certain limitations. The study’s findings become much more acceptable if these limitations are identified after reducing stress. Therefore, it is always important to consider limitations of your research before writing scope of study.
Duration of the Study
Defining the duration of research is as important as other guidelines mentioned above. The researcher should clearly mention the time that the study will take. It is important in a way that, after all, you have to submit, or publish it. The researcher should not overcommit the deadlines either.
The conclusion to this discussion is that scope of study is a research’s key aspect. Through this, you will be giving life to your ideas, as well as research capabilities. Therefore, you must pay attention to all of the factors mentioned above.